The first part of the course is mainly dedicated to offer an essential knowledge of the concept of sustainability in a strict environmental sense. The second part studies how literature and policy link environmental sustainability to economic and social sustainability, respectively in the theoretical field of analysis and in the practical field of implementation. The third part analyses some specific approaches to local sustainability, particularly in the energy sector and in the waste management.
1) The concept of sustainability
2) Sustainable use of natural resources.
3) Natural capital and carrying capacity. The debate between strong sustainability and weak sustainability.
4) The three dimensions of sustainability: environmental, economic and social.
5) Environmental externalities and economic regulations.
6) Sustainability indicators for industrial and consumer goods -Life Cycle assessment- and for territorial and social agglomerations - the ecological footprint and the Quality of Life Indicators.
7) The policies for sustainable development adopted by the European Union
8) The sustainability problem in the energy sector (energy transition) and in waste management (circular economy).
Textbook: M.T. Mossello (2008), “Politica dell’ambiente. Analisi, azioni, progetti”, Publisher: Il Mulino, Bologna.
|TINACCI MOSSELLO M.||Politica dell’ambiente. Analisi, azioni, progetti||Il Mulino||2008|
Oral exam will be taken in presence or online according to the epidemiological situation. Exam will remain the same in terms of content and format. The final assessment will be based on the knowledge and analytical skills demonstrated by the student, especially for what concerns the evolving relationship between environment, economy and society, and related policies.
Via Cantarane, 24
VAT number 01541040232
Italian Fiscal Code 93009870234
© 2021 | Verona University | Credits